Risk is universal. If it’s not one type of risk it’s another. Fear of investing in case you lose out – versus – Fear of missing out by not investing. It’s very much like the Push-you-pull-me from Dr. Dolittle.
Our investors leave this “should they or shouldn’t they” to us. It’s up to me to go and have a quiet word with myself. So what am I looking for?
I’m a constant observer of what other investors are doing. It has become more difficult recently as the long-term balance has been upset by the number of short term speculators distorting the markets. The get-rich quick gang. So at times like this, it makes sense to watch what those speculators are watching. Bitcoin.
Continue reading “April 2021 Investment Review”
Nucleus has been taken over by James Hay
Some of you have been following the run of events since it was announced in December that Sanlam had effectively put Nucleus up for sale. Several bidders came forward and in the final reckoning, a competitor platform has sealed the deal. Changes will undoubtedly follow, but for now we are sure it will be business as usual.
The news has even prompted a client to ask if we will be made redundant, which is a worry if he thinks we work for Nucleus! Nucleus works for us!
If you cut our business in half, running through it like the letters in Blackpool Rock, it would read “Fiercely Independent since 1997”. Nobody owns us and nobody ever will. My central belief is you cannot offer independent advice to clients unless you are totally free to do so.
A la carte
Now’s a good time to reiterate how we function and describe all of the moving parts. It won’t take me long, there are only 3 parts. Let me use an analogy, (nobody saw that coming!) I’m the chef – again anybody who knows me well understands that I am in reality as far away from a chef as is humanly possible – but let’s stick with it.
Continue reading “It takes 3 to tango”
- Chef – Yours truly.
- Diner – played astonishingly well by you.
- Supermarket – played currently by Nucleus. Also A.J.Bell for specific property related investments.
A Platforms role
A platform is our outsourced administrative arm. It allows us to;
- Send you income and withdrawals.
- Allow you to invest into a tax wrapper (product) such as a pension or an ISA .
- Allows you to get a valuation 24/7 and to monitor all transactions that take place.
- Hold all your cash and other assets such as shares securely.
- Make and settle any trades which we decide to make on your behalf.
- Report to financial regulators and HMRC as necessary.
This is not an exhaustive list, but I’m sure you get the picture. Admin, admin and more admin. It leaves us free to do what we do best; offer regulated financial planning and advice and manage your life savings through both the good times and the bad.
Additional Platform Added
Since we commenced using platforms in 2003 we have used just 3.
- SIPPcentre which became Investcentre.
- Selestia which became Skandia which became Old Mutual.
- Nucleus which in around 12 months time will probably become James Hay.
This week we added a fourth. Welcome to Transact. Here follows the blog I never thought I would write.
Continue reading “Service Update”