Rarely does one day contain three things close to one’s heart. But June 23rd will be a special day in many ways for me.
Charlie born 23rd June 1995
Firstly my youngest, Charlotte India Scott, will get the key of the door. She’s never been 21 before. Whatever that means these days. There will be lots of cards, presents and a party and I’m certain it will make Lesley & I feel somehow older. We now have a 21 year old and a 23 year old daughter, and yet we are still only 40. 🙂 We will be raising a glass or two to celebrate all the adult things she couldn’t do before like drinking, driving, voting, having sex (Oh Dad!) and requiring an adult pass in Disney. Actually come to think of it, she has been legally able to do all these things for many years.
- She has required an adult pass at Disney since the age of 12.
- A legally consenting adult since the age of 16.
- She got her driving licence on her 17th birthday.
- She has been able to vote and entered onto the electoral roll since she was 18.
But when Charlie reaches age 21 she can legally drink in Disneyworld and on US cruise ships, so still a big, big, happy day the 23rd.
“Charlie” born 23rd June 2008
I hope I find a little time to drive my Mercedes, also nicknamed “Charlie”, as it reaches 8 years old on the same day. I find it mildly ironic that I still drive this car for many reasons.
- Firstly I could afford a new car. After almost 30 years in business I could afford to rock-up in a brand new Aston Martin if I wanted. But like many of my clients I find it hard to spend money on something new when what I already have is just fine.
- Secondly my Merc hardly bristles with the latest technology and I’m such a techie. I could hardly wait to buy the latest iPhone 3,4,5 & 6. My home is covered by Arlo cameras, the lights come on automatically at dusk courtesy of WEMO and my central heating is controlled by Hive. All from my iPhone 6. Yet my car has outdated Sat Nav, no reversing cameras and it plainly refuses to parallel park all by itself.
- Thirdly, despite the best efforts of European mandarins, I didn’t feel pressured into buying a dirty diesel. My Merc is not very “green”. No, it’s red and has got a thumping great 5.5 litre fuel-injected petrol burner under the bonnet. Thankfully a degree of fuel economy is achieved by living close to the office and only travelling 3000 miles a year in it. Also Bolton has never been led by “Red” Ken Livingstone and so does not yet levy a daily congestion charge.
Still, as a complete techie I am considering a Tesla. The thing is as advanced as a spaceship and practically drives itself. It is undoubtedly properly “green”. I have to admit I have enjoyed the drop in petrol prices more then most. What happened to diesel being 10 pence a litre cheaper than petrol? I think that was just a European trick to bring us into line with what the French and German motor manufacturers wanted to sell to us.
EU Referendum 23rd June 2016
Oh yes. To the point eventually. June 23rd is the day everybody gets to vote on Remain or Brexit. About time too. I’m 54 and have never had the opportunity to vote on something as important as this before. So on June 23rd, before celebrating Charlie’s 21st by sipping French Champagne, I will be driving my German Mercedes to a British Poling Station and voting with my feet to achieve a couple of things.
Let’s hope June 23rd becomes our Independence Day! David Cameron then resigns and Boris Johnson takes command. It will never happen unless we suffer another 7/7 before 23/6. Even Obama will be flying in to bolster the Remain campaign. He wouldn’t accept foreign control though, neither would any other American.
And if we do vote to leave I’m sure the French will still sell us their Champagne and the Germans will still export their cars to us. We are a huge market to them. After a short period Sterling & Euros will balance out against each other once again. Still if I’m wrong and they refuse to sell us their fancy wine and fancy cars then we won’t send them our pies and pasties anymore.
Note to self: Better remember to sell our only European holding, the DAX fund before the 23rd. If we vote to leave I think it will be an indictment on the Germans ?
Now tell me what you all think.